This year has already seen us take several flights with our toddler, both short haul and long haul. Whilst I love traveling and exploring as a family of three, I also always slightly dread the flight with my toddler whom is 21 months old. We have been fortunate enough to fly Business Class on the long haul flights so that does give us a bit more room and comfort, however it is still very difficult to entertain a little one who is incredibly active but cant quite yet communicate. As such, I have spent a lot of time scouting Amazon for toddler friendly toys and activities. I pack them into our carry-on luggage to keep her entertained during the flight and then use them throughout the holiday. Here are the top 10 toys that I have opted for to help keep my very busy toddler occupied.
- Tegu Pocket Pouch Magnetic Wooden Block Set – These sets of building blocks are absolutely brilliant. They are beautifully packaged in a felt pouch (easy to transport) and are made in lovely pastel colors. But the extra special feature is that they are magnetic, meaning you shouldn’t loose all of the pieces all over the floor of the plane. There is a little instruction guide with lots of different objects to try and build – I’m not sure if the parents or toddler will have more fun with these?!?
- Board Books – Mackenzie is FINALLY taking an interest in books and will let me read them to her without hurriedly trying to turn and rip the pages. Whilst we have a lot in the house, I think it is important to get her something new and interesting, plus they are relatively inexpensive. Here are a few of my faves at the moment:
- Buckle Toy Bizzy – I thought this buckle toy looked really interesting and it did not disappoint. There are several different characters in the range but I particularly liked Bizzy as it has ‘lift the flaps’ on the back with animals underneath i.e. interesting and educational. My inquisitive child enjoys trying to figure out how all of the buckles work and then trying to perfect the technique for each.
- Stacking Cups – What is it with kids and stacking cups … they all seem to be obsessed? They also second as a great bath toy when you are on the road so they are well worth adding to your luggage.
- Coloring Books – If you know me at all, you will know that I hate mess. Some will find it surprising that I decided to have 2 dogs and a toddler. I have found 2 different coloring options which allow your little one to scribble until their heart is content without making a mess. Genius!
- Make a Scene Reusable Stickers – Another great product that is very inexpensive and wont make a mess. Reusable stickers and a cardboard ‘scene’ to let your child use their imagination and create a picture. Or you could let your child use the stickers on the plane windows etc. without fear of ruining anything. I also found these ‘Jumbo Stickers for Little Hands‘ to be perfect for her age, plus the pages are glossy enough that the stickers can be maneuvered a few times. There are all different themes that you can choose depending on your toddler’s interests.
- Magnetic Drawing Board, Mini Travel Doodle – I remember these from when I was a kid but they seem to have come a long way since then and are now in color! We were given one on-board during and Emirates flight and Mackenzie seems to love scribbling on it – so this will be coming in my bag.
- Bouncy Ball – A bouncy ball that lights up is the holy grail for a toddler, but perhaps not so much for the parents if the keep throwing it down the aisle of the plane (cue multiple walks of shame). Something small, cheap and easy that perhaps might act as a good distraction when waiting around in the airport … is it wrong to play fetch with your child?
- Plush Toy – All of a sudden, our little one is obsessed with her soft toys. She carries them everywhere and does a lot of role play with them – swaddling them in blankets, giving them a drink and brushing their hair. I have plenty hidden away that she is yet to pay much attention to so I will pack one of those each time. But if my hand was forced to buy a new one, I would definitely opt for one of the Jellycats range – they are just too adorable.
- Amazon Fire Tablet, Kids Edition – I am pretty sure every parent I know has uttered the words ‘I didn’t want to be that parent … but I gave them the tablet to watch cartoons.’ We all fear of being judged, but the reality is that a tablet can provide some much needed respite for parents and this technology is going to be the future for our children. I think the Amazon Fire Tablets are a great option with the downloads that are available and the kid-proof casing to protect them from being damaged. You may also like to invest in some headphones once your toddler is old enough to wear them. These headphones get great reviews from fellow parents on Amazon – Mpow Kids Headphones.
If you enjoyed this post then you may enjoy one of my earlier posts – ‘How to Survive a Long Haul Flight with a Toddler‘. What tips and tricks do you have for entertaining a toddler on a plane? Leave your comments below for me to see and happy travels! x