Okay, I call it my mum make-up but basically it is my go to make-up when I don’t have much time and still want to make half an effort. So this is my make-up basics when I’m travelling, going for brunch, hungover or going for a Pilates class – the possibilities are endless. I am by no means a make-up expert or connoisseur but I often turn to friends or shop attendants for recommendations on products before buying anything. If you are anything like me, I don’t mind spending money on quality products provided that they work. My pet hate is spending money on something that doesn’t live up to its promise. Therefore, I wanted to share my favorite products and the basics that I think everyone should have in their make-up bags.
- Mineral Powder ~ bareMinerals Original SPF15 Foundation | I had wanted to try mineral makeup for some time and one Christmas I asked Santa (aka Mum) to gift me a starter pack. I have never looked back since I started using this product. As I get old older, the less I want my face to be caked in thick liquid foundation all day. This product is very lightweight on the skin but provides excellent coverage for minor skin imperfections. I also love that is has inbuilt SPF15 to help protect my delicate skin from the sun (because nobody wants wrinkles or sun spots!). I use ‘Medium Beige’ for my skin tone.
- Concealer ~ Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer | To be honest I have struggled for years to find a concealer that I love, but recently I opted for this Urban Decay concealer based on recommendations and good reviews online. So far, so good and I am happy with the coverage it provides. Concealers tend to focus on covering under eye bags or spots (both a prominent feature after a baby), but rarely do they treat both problem areas well. However I can report that this seems to be doing the job.
- Mascara ~ Stila Huge™ Extreme Mascara Black | If I literally had NO time to apply makeup, I would still find 30 seconds to apply some mascara and a touch of lip gloss. Lots of my friends are big fans of the Chanel Inimitable mascara, and whilst I like the Chanel mascara, personally my current fave is Stila Huge. It plumps up my lashes nicely without them clumping together, as well as lengthening and lifting them to really make my eyes pop. If you have the time, buy a lash curler and use this just before applying the mascara for optimal results.
- Brow Pencil ~ Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil | When I had my makeup done in-store for a wedding I was able to redeem the cost of the makeup application on products (Mecca in Australia, or SpaceNK offers the same in the UK). The makeup artist introduced me to the Hourglass brow pencil and I have been obsessed ever since. Whilst it is pricey for what it is, I find it brilliant and cannot bring myself to try anything else now. It is so easy and smooth to apply and it is double ended with a brush for grooming and sculpting the perfect brow. I use ‘Dark Brunette’.
- Blush ~ NARS Cosmetics Blush | Again, lots of my friends have been on the NARS blush bandwagon for quite some time now. Orgasm is a favorite among many but I also really like the bronzing powders (available in Laguna or Casino) if you want less color but still some definition in your cheek. I regularly switch between the two depending on what I am wearing as well as what lip and eye colors I am using. This product glides easily onto the face and provides a natural and subtle look.
- Tinted Gloss ~ benefit Posiebalm Lip Hydrator | I picked this little beauty up when running through the airport one day and now it is my constant companion. It hydrates my lips but doesn’t leave your lips super glossy so that you hair gets stuck in it (I hate that!). There is no distinct taste or smell and it gives a nice little tint, perfectly completing your ‘5 Minute Makeup’ look!
Disclosure: Product pictures sourced from www.lookfantastic.com and www.spacenk.com. This post contains affiliate links and I receive a commission if you visit a link and buy something on my recommendation. Purchasing via an affiliate link doesn’t cost you any extra, and I only recommend products and services I trust. All opinions are my own.